There are two versions of the Better Chicken Commitment that food companies in the US and Canada are adopting and working in partnership with their suppliers to meet.
By 2024, we will source only chicken certified by Global Animal Partnership (GAP) and require all chickens to be processed in a manner that avoids live-dumping and live-shackling, and instead utilizes a pre-shackle, multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that’s widely hailed as more humane.
By 2024, we will require our chicken suppliers to meet the following requirements for 100% of our products:
- Maximum stocking density of 6.0 lbs./sq. foot and prohibit broiler cages.
- Provide birds enriched environments including litter, lighting, and enrichment that meets Global Animal Partnership’s standards.
- Process chickens in a manner that avoids pre-stun handling and instead utilizes a multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that induces an irreversible stun.
- Demonstrate compliance with all standards via third-party auditing
- Adopt breeds that demonstrate higher welfare outcomes, either: Hubbard Black, JA757, 787, 957, or 987; Rambler Ranger, Ranger Classic, or Ranger Gold; or others that meet the criteria of the RSPCA Broiler Breed Welfare Assessment Protocol or Global Animal Partnership (GAP).