Standards with measurable litter quality:
- Floors of all houses must be covered with a minimum total of 7.6 cm of non-toxic litter.
- Litter must be managed so it is friable and no more than 10% of the littered area is caked.
- If litter is not completely removed (i.e. cleaned out) between flocks, all caked litter must be removed between flocks, and top dressed as necessary so that the entire floor is covered to a total minimum litter depth of 7.6 cm.
- Litter must be of quality and quantity to provide a comfortable environment and allow for dust-bathing behavior and foraging/scratching.
- A Soiled Feather Assessment must be conducted for each flock between 15-20 days of age.
Guidelines with no measurable litter quality:
- Bedding that is provided must not be harmful or toxic to birds.
- Bedding or litter must be available to provide opportunities for birds to express normal behaviours (e.g. scratching, foraging, dust bathing).
- Litter condition must be monitored daily and action taken immediately to improve poor litter conditions (i.e. litter that is too wet or too dry).
- Fresh bedding must be provided for chicks and poults at placement.